#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: To wear a tie { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Thursday, September 29, 2005

To wear a tie

Why do you think a head of an institute wear a tie? Funny question? It might be but listen to this:
As you may know people here in Iran don’t wear ties, I mean the custom of wearing ties isn’t common among us, you don’t see a lot of Iranians wearing ties walking in the street but, this head of our Institute wear ties and black suits in “special” occasions and become a lady-killer though he is a bit ugly _Thank God he isn’t reading my blog, otherwise I had to kiss my ass goodbye for goods_ but you cant deny how shrewd he could be in times of registration(Sabte nam).He acts upon this motto “first impressions are the most lasting”. I mean if you enter the institute you will be amazed to see the beauty and the glamour but beauty is only skin deep; He starts talking to you as if he is
Noam Chomsky The linguist but, I have been in his class a couple of time to observe his teaching methodology and I know he is an average teacher as I am but, he pretends to be the Alfa and beta of all heads and teachers in the world and that’s why a lot of people come here to register and by looking at this guy they think they are in the” right” place and this guy manages to screw them real good and in a big way!
The other day a father and daughter were in his office. The poor girl had failed the term but I noticed that he(the head) wrote s.th on a piece of paper and asked the father to give the paper to the registration room for the girl to be registered in a higher level so, the girl doesn’t miss the opportunities the institute is going to provide for the girl. That’s interesting how the head ended his conversation with the girl” You are entitled to go to a higher term this time but you should promise to do your best”
Why do I have this irritating habit of repeating the same phrase over and over that Money Talks?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

$ talks my man... It does BIG time.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you always write interesting entries and I do like them. You look like a native speaker, have you ever been to an English speaking country? Or are you really a native speaker?

Alough I sometimes think to myslef that you may not be a native speaker (cos instead of using two or three verb phrases, you use idioms and expressions a lot, you're very very good at English. Wish I could now how good you're at speaking!

Anyway, good luck with you and your family.

P.S. Although Noam is the most famous linguist in the world but I'm not into him as he's not into me too ;)

2:20 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Hi Farzad:
It [money]always does the talking:)

Hi Mohammadreza:
Do I look like a native speaker? Have we met before? No? so, how do you know that I look like a native speaker? just kidding:)
What a question!
O fcourse I am a ntive speaker but a native speaker of Farsi and I have never been to an English speaking country.Oh yes,I have been to a couple of Middle Eastern countries.

10:50 PM  
Blogger anahita said...

I love this post
I'm so happy I came across your blog (M. teacher can I say that for a blog?)
I think your blog is the most interesting of all blogs by iranians I've read so far
no bla bla, funny,intelligent
(it's not tarof you know, i lived too long abroad to even know how to tarof)
I wish I could learn english with a teacher like you
take care

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was my first time reading your posts, found them nice and interesting
go0d lUck dude!

12:35 AM  
Blogger lucie said...

hi frank! first time here, thanks to Ardvisura :) i really enjoy the few things i've read so far and will come back to learn more about your surprising and interesting stories!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Dear Ardvisura and Anonymous:
Its very kind of you.Thanks:)

12:50 AM  
Blogger anahita said...

hi Frank
I was born in Iran,but my parents went to live in France when I was 10.And my dad and I never ent back to Iran.We have an imaginary Iran in our thoughts which is more than 20 years old!!!
about my blog, I know how google translator is horrible.Hope you didn't get a wrong idea of it.
I don't complain about my situation.
I just try to be honest about my feelings and thoughts concerning my new life(since 4 years).
a shame you can't read french and my english is not good enough to write a bilingual blog.
i speak and read persian but my writing is very weak.
looking forward your next post

8:33 AM  
Blogger Wulf said...

“first impressions are the most lasting”

Student performance is tied to student attitude. A teacher can change student attitude by acting as though he is a great teacher, by believing that he is a better teacher, who others would look up to. I dress sharply, and students ask why. I tell them it is for them. I incorporate topics from their other teachers - geography, vocabulary, history - and when they ask why, I tell them it is for them. I try to give each parent and student the best first impression, and to build on it every day.

It won't fix a teacher or administrator who is just an empty suit, a toady like you describe your Institute head. But it can improve attitudes, and that can improve learning.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a native English Speaker with Farsi as my second language, I have to say you are doing remarkably well...with a few exceptions. You're having trouble with your singulars and plurals. Remember this-- if the subject is singular (ie "cat") the verb is plural (ie. eats). if the subject is plural (ie. cats) the verb is singular (ie eat). So The cat eats. And All cats eat. (You will be done for GOOD is an idiom--goods means things you buy) Also the adage is "He is Alpha and Omega" --not Alpha and Beta. Alpha and Omega means the beginning and the end. Alpha and Beta means A and B. Doesn't mean much.

I bring these up to help... I have "teachers" that constantly correct my Farsi to help me get better.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home