#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Skepticism { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Skepticism

I usually don’t like to write posts about my routines but this case is a unique case which only a good “shrink” might help to cure it. By the way, are there any good shrinks in the whole world?! I wonder.

As a private tutor I was asked to teach to one of my students whose English wasn’t that good. I accepted the offer and went to the boy’s house for nine sessions and a night exactly before the last session the boy’s mother had given a call to the language school I teach and had asked the secretary there to let me know that they had canceled the last class. The point was that they hadn’t paid me until then though, we had made our deal already.
The problem as it walks through stream of consciousness:

“I was cheated again. Holy fuck! What a stupid teacher I am to trust them! This isn’t the first time you were cheated. Why weren’t I more direct on getting the money in advance? Why the hell do you have this Achilles heel to avoid directness? Why aren’t you more direct?”
I started criticizing myself in a big way. The boy’s parents had left their number in the language school because as an absent minded teacher I had forgotten to get their phone numbers in cases like this. I gave a call to their house and after greeting before I started speaking the boy’s mother said that due to taking a trip somewhere they would be grateful if I could change the schedule to go there earlier.
Thank God I didn’t say anything wrong to make myself ashamed of my own words. I was ready to tell her” No problem if you want to cancel the class but, when are you going to come to school to settle the money affairs down?”
When something goes wrong, I put the fault on myself  and start bitching and calling myself names until I order myself to” Shut up, Shut up, Shut up…”  

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr O2 said...

ah Frank I have had the experience but somehow I am thankful I did take the step to take what was my right.Fortunately I haven' had the problem recently. Haven taken many student either. Have kept the most reliable who are as honest to me as I am to them. I don even recall countin the sessions for a long time now. Wish U luck buddy as it is a big part of the job.

1:52 AM  
Blogger Kimia said...

Hi :) This time you weren't cheated but that doesn't mean next time you wouldn't. Safer to make your contract clear in the begining :)
In these days that people use every way to cheat the others, it is more professional way to act strong in the begining. Even your constomers will definitely think that your are more experienced teacher than being money-minded.
Here is the same. If I pay my rent days before the end of the month for some months and then one month I delay one day, she knocks my door.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home