#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Authority&A Broken self esteem { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Authority&A Broken self esteem

How can you fix a damaged self esteem? Let me tell you how I did it.

“Mr. Frankie! YOUR class is one of those classes in which you don’t have much control over. The kids aren’t as well behaved in your class as they are in Mr.X class because Mr. X sometimes gives us “good” talking-tos. You just don’t.” One of my students said to me in person.

(Inside my head) How come? I can’t believe my ears! After years of teaching I had thought of myself as an assertive teacher whom no one could dare to challenge! And now my heart was fatigued with anger and dissatisfaction with myself.
Unconsciously, I deiced to give them a good lesson they never forget to fix this self esteem.
As I entered the same class in the following day one of the students in the back rows made a sound which I took it as an “insult” Although, he might not have thought of it as an” insult.” I was LOOKING for the wrong action by the WRONG student in the WRONG time to establish myself and my authority again. They had too learn their lesson by hook or crook!
Though I am not a fan of physical punishment but, sometimes I think that’s THE only way which brings discipline into the classroom and works however, I truly believe if you don’t know how to use the weapon it backfires. I ordered him to come closer and I slapped him on the face and I was careful not to hurt him too not because I felt pity for him but I was afraid of the consequences. The class was silent for moments; then I sat back and enjoyed the whole class. God is the only one who knows how much this class has caused my brain cells to commit suicide and I think he deserved it. I had used almost every trick in my bag with this class already. I am wondering as how classroom management is established in other countries?

Moral of the Story?

Speak up and establish your authority as a bully quickly. This immediately eliminates any misunderstanding about you not being in control of your class. Staying there in times of acting up make them understand they can walk over your shoulder for breakfast, lunch and dinner. .

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr O2 said...

I was always too afraid of the consequences to go into physical punishment. Instead I first punished them by ignoring them & if it back-fired I would discuss the matter in the class so his classmates would deal with the guy. I had pretty good classes though. Perhaps it is all diff in classes with uncontrolable students.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Tarkhoon said...

baba rafigh
shoma inghadr khashen naboodi:) although I'm 100persent against physical punishment,what u did seems to be correct.garche man tarjih midadam ke tamam modat e class roye ye pa jeloye klas viaste.what my phycis teacher did with me and it was bisabeghe in girls highschool

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! Poor kid... I wouldn't have raised my hand on a stranger's child, unless he/she raised his/her hand on me. However, I'm fairly certain that my stern tone of voice, and sharp words have done a beautiful job at instilling discipline in the classroom, based on the many teaching experiences I've had in my life.

Don't ya think smacking the boy was a bit harsh? I mean, that hurts him physically as well as emotionally because 1)there was no prior warning, and 2)he was humiliated in front of his peers. No offense, but he may resent your action for the rest of his life.

But then again, I am not familiar with the norms in an Iranian classroom. It'd be awesome if you could let us know how things go with this kid in the next few days--as in, how is he behaving now? Any changes, besides not being as rude?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Spyder said...

the only issue i have with the bully, is while it does work it s only short term. the bully can only be in control for so long. once the "child" reliezes that he can over come the bully, the bully will never be in control.
perhaps this is the leason the child should learn?

5:57 AM  
Blogger Kimia said...

You probably fixed your damaged self esteem, but you definitely lost something that you haven't yet noticed. I think you might succeed to keep him controled in your classroom, but I think he will show you something right after he finished needing you. I still have no idea what I would do if I were you. Probably I would do the same as you.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Frank :)
I wish you and your family a very happy holiday and merry Xmas.
All the sest 2 U and cheers :)

1:18 AM  
Blogger Frank said...

Dr O2:
I had done every possible action,the problem seems to reside in managing school by the principal .These things don't happen in other schools I teach.

Nazbaroon:
Every coin has two sides.I have my "bad tempered" side too when the need arises;)

Shiva:
Ouch! Poor teacher who has to suffer stupid acts from some really stupid students who are rude.I am 100% sure that if YOU were their teacher you would have sympathized with me than the student.Don't worry the next time I saw him he was his usual self as if nothing went wrong between us. I have been going to their class and every time they write a message on the board to ridicule their teachers.there are things you don't know about some schools.
I had asked this kids father to come to school to have a word with him and after I talked to his so called "Daddy" I realized that it wasn't his father but one of their relatives who talked to me INSTEAD of HIS father.
Sorry the list is so long I cant continue....
To be continued.....

Spyder:
I know my job well and I know how to turn into a bully in the RIGHT time not all the time.

Kimia:
Of course the girls class is so much different with boys.Don't worry! When everything fails Bite;)

Farzad:
Happy Xmas to you and your wife.Wish you the best in the new year.What has happened to your weblog?Its missing!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home