#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: What Does... Mean? { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Sunday, November 27, 2005

What Does... Mean?

Private School:
I was in the middle of my teaching when out of the blue one of my students raised his hand to ask me a “question”. I said:” Is your question text based or something not related to the material directly?” The kid with his smiley face answered: “Out of the text if you don’t mind.” “Go ahead” I said. “My taxi driver service (ranndeh azhans) asked me to come to you ask this question.” He said. What does son of a ….He paused in order to remember the word! I said” Isn’t it bitch? He jumped up gladly and said” Yeah! That’s it!” So, what does it mean? What would you have done if you were me? Two of them were giggling and I knew the trap was there for me so, I fell into their game.
Go tell him “Haroomzadeh” I laughed and said. Yeah! That’s what it means. I said it loudly. What does “Haroomzadeh” mean? He asked again. I really couldn’t go any further to give him more explanation on the subject.” Come to me after the class and I would give you more explanation.” I said.The whole class was laughing out loud.

Public School:
The class is over. One of the teenagers came to me and said:” Excuse me, what does shut up mean?” He wasn’t the kind of teenager who intended to make fun of his teacher.” Why do you want to know about this?” I said.” My cousin asked me to come to you and ask this question.”
“Go and tell you cousin: Khafe sho “I laughed and said. Go and ask your cousin “Do you know what an asshole means?” and I asked him to pronounce the word a couple of times not to forget it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dr O2 said...

lol these kids are devils ;-) they sure have their own ways of playing a teacher in their dirty games :-D

Pretty wise there Frank! you could have been caught off guard & give in.

Once I had a naive (pastorizeh) student in my english class who was really blank about the most simple you-know-what words. His best friend kept asking him these words slyly & focing him to ask them from me since he was so enthusiastic in learning everything!! I had to explain words like BALLS, BITCH,... to this 16 y/o boy!!! it was a tough task I always got away from by simply asking the devilish friend to explain it to him after the class himself ;-)

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son of a bitch = Tooleh sag OR Maadar sag. On that note, you can probably guess what "bitch" means.


P.S. Notice how when translated to Farsi, the gender distinction is removed--one of the main differences between English and Farsi. Hah.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

p.S: nu colors :-) the blue looks nice...

1:53 PM  
Blogger Kimia said...

If I were in your shoes, I would give a wrong answer. Like completely opposite ;)
Or teach them how to use dictionary. I would never be a patient teacher :D

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You handled the situation pretty well…
Mysteriously, some students have a tendency to be a smart-ass once in a while. We’ve all Been there, done that!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny, I remember in Spanish class kids would ask my Teacher what various Spanish curses meant in English (they knew, but they wanted to be smart-asses). My teachers didn't handle it as well as you did, to say the least :)

2:38 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Kimia:
I aint a patient teacher my self sometime but in cases like this I am as direct and to the point as possible.It gives me a nice and enjoyable feeling;)

Dr O2:
For me Its not tough.Its ENJOYABLE when the kids want to know these words from their teachers; so let it be;)

Shiva:
Nice point you mentioned! take this example: "Aroosi Kardan"
Why isnt it "Doomadi Kardan"? in English Its only marriage.one of the main differences between English and Farsi. Hah?

Dr O2:
Thanks:)

Farzad:
Thanks:) Thats the way some students are.

Tom:
Thanks :) Sometimes handling these situations arent that easy;)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

you know it ain't all that bad coz they are asking abt facts of life but the bad part is a parent claiming you have taught his child the wrong things ;-) (which ain't also important)

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Frank,

I never noticed the Aroosi Kardan thing! Touche!

Also, why can't guys be "torshideh" (turned sour) from taking their sweet time to marry? K, this might somewhere the U.S. and Iran agree--gender discrimination on single people!! Guys can be 50, never married, and Americans call them bachelors. Women, age 50, never married, are called old hags or lesbians....Hah?

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Reid said...

Hi great reading yoour post

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home