#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Encouragement { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Monday, November 07, 2005

Encouragement

I returned the student’s paper.Then came the “encouragement” part.  As a teacher I have different ways to support my student’s efforts. One is through marking them up. [Read financially]And clapping and saying nice things for the “best” ones. [Read spiritually]I ask the good graders to come to the blackboard, and then I pat on their back for a job well done.
Sometimes I write a few good words on their special notebooks (the notebook is for all the good or “evil” things a student might do through the year and they are given some things like a ball, a watch,etc…as a gift if they would have been well behaved and done a good job.)
Today after returning the student’s paper and praising them, one of them came to me with his special notebook I told you about. I was going to write a few good words when he said that the notebook is his friend’s who had gotten the worst grade. He asked me if it was possible to write the good words in his FRIEND’S notebook so, he would be praised instead of himself.
I didn’t pause a second. No question on whys? Or saying something like:” HE is the one who must put up a good job.” I did it pronto!
The students were surprised to see that their teacher was doing this. How in the world could this be possible to get praised for a job YOU haven’t done?
Here is the why?
Right there I had a flashback to my childhood memories and remembered the time where I was a 12 year old kid who was weak in math and strong in dictation. I had asked our teacher if it was possible to decrease my dictation grade to add it to my math grade. Her answer was A BIG no! Boy, I was really disappointed! So when that student of mine came up with that request I couldn’t ignore his request. My answer was a big YES.
I doubted if I had done the right thing afterward but, now that I think of it I am almost sure that my yes answer was right.Maybe, the worst grader become motivated a bit and turns on a light. I am not sure but, if he just starts to think for moments about his future, I think someone should pat on MY back for a job well done.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a virtual pat on ur back ;)
I think U did the right think. . .

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Frank, U know what, Nasy is right. I go with that.
[U little devil, asking your teacher to jack up your mark on math :]

10:43 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

my take is you did the right thing for both those students. The notebooks are for encouraging students & with signing one, U have managed to encourage two students (like buy one get one for free ;-))

P.S: I've thought english for nearly 6 years. It is so fascinating when encouragements pay off :-)

P.S 2: which level are you teaching Frank?(if I won't be considered too nosy that is)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Tarkhoon said...

Dear amigo,
I pat on ur back. Y know smetimes A BIG YES may change the way of our life:)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

me:
Thanks for the pat.I need it;)

Frazad:
Thank you too my man:)

Dr O2 :
P.S:Yup, Doc.You are right.
P.S2:All levels:Rahnamai,High school,Amoozeshgah(private schools) You name it man:)

Nazbaroon:
Thanks for the pat:) I think THE BIG YES is when the mullah says: Vakilam?

10:18 PM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

hmmm... a pro then :-) it is so fun to teach if the wages match the efforts...

2:51 AM  
Blogger Kimia said...

There are a few people who know what is their job. I admire you.
Once in 4th grade my teacher told me if you improve your grade in Geografic I will put your Math grade instead in your nimsols. I was so excited, finally my Geografic grade was better than my Math :) I don't know if it was worse she would do her promise or not :) I never forget that teacher

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home