#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Is it personal? { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Is it personal?

Some thoughts popped in my mind after reading click This:

I do take it as a personal insult when some student of mine stares at me and grins;when being asked why? He says:” I just look at you and can’t help laughing.” I never ever think I deserve it and have tried hard to control my behavior but,classroom management is a two way street and sometimes three way street if you include the mismanagement from the principal point of view.when 15 out of 30 students skip their classes without being punished mismanagement does happen whether you like it or not.You can behave decently toward students as I do my best to be a “decent” teacher but,sometimes I just can’t.
I AM looking for more peace and intimacy and connection with my students but when I ask our “Nazem”(mentor) if he could help me to deal better with this class he is like” hahaha,you are over? How soon!”(Kam avordi?)
Most of my teaching in this so called”class” is discipline management and dealing with the students behavior than teaching.The asshole principal knows about this but, he is carefree.That's a good suggestion to roll things off your back but….
When I repeat something as simple as taking turns to speak some students seem to be completely ignorant of the fact and the rules I have set.It gets on my nerves and little by little I become hypersensitive and act unconsciously like a maniac just like Jack Nickelson in “Shining” (God bless Kubric’s Soul)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Frank I hope u are doing well.thanks for ur sweet note ...thats very nice of u.

9:16 AM  
Blogger EdWonk said...

Your classes sound like they could be over here on this side of the world.

I guess that we have a lot more in common than one would think.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Kimia said...

About the last example, I think those poor children suffer from lack of intelligence and sense; don't be mad at them. Stay calm and repeat your request again and again and again. They will be tired of the repetition and probably prefer more to answer your request than hearing the repeating sentence again.
I can understand how this would be hard to tolerate, but you know you are not responsible to teach your students everything. Focus on your lesson and if one of them while attended to your class and listened to you still learned nothing then take it personal and try to fix this problem. Their misbehavior is not your responsibility; ignore them. They have parents, school mentor and principal for that part.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

hey Frank. I hear you man! I have felt the same pain in the a**. WHile a class of desired behaviour is beyond heavens one with lack of discipline is worse than hell. During my 6 year experience I never tried to have a quiet class but one where there is a co-understanding of the limits in a class. When the plan fails due to lack of sense by the students it soaks the energy out of the poor teacher & the class turns into a battle field where every little thing for both parties becomes insulting. While if things work out right tolerance makes way for a healthy educational but also energizing class.

Nightmarous dude. Wish U all the luck.

P.S: I hate know-it-all NAZEMs who hide their inability behind sarcasm...

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank,

I sympathize with you. During my time as a classroom teacher in the USA, I had the same problem. Students who were impossible to control and an administration that expected results without offering any real solutions.

Ironically I spent more than two years getting a masters degree in education and none of my courses addressed the central problem of pre-collegiate education--classroom management. :(

1:56 PM  
Blogger Tarkhoon said...

I'm so much happy u don't want to quit and are still writing:)

2:05 PM  
Blogger 123-I-Love-You said...

Frank - thanks for your visit. I like your writing. I'm curious - are you an ex-pat living in Iran or an Iranian?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the classroom situation. To be honest, I've had a few kids like that myself. In such cases I employ the time-tested technique of public ridicule. It works better than the strap.

Here's an example:

Student: When I look at you I can't help but laugh.

You: [mumbling something]

Student: What?

You: {still mumbling]

Student: What!??

You: I SAID, products of generation of incest often complain of hearing troubles, as do men who harbour sexual fantasies about their sisters' cabbage patch dolls.

I'm not sure if it would all carry through in the translation.

Do it though. Mock him.

Trust me, he'll respect it.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home