#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Democracy Failure! { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Democracy Failure!

When my students realized that their physical education class was replaced with MY class due to chaotic schedule of our school, the students started bitching about this; murmuring names and things.
In order to soothe the pain I devoted the class time to them and asked them to write a complaint letter to the principal. One of them started writing the letter and brought the letter to me to proofread it. After proofreading the letter I asked my students to put their signatures on the letter to make it as a “public” complaint; some of them were hesitant to do so as the shit might hit the fan and it may lead to their dismissal from school. After my encouragement they signed the letter and now it was time for someone brave to submit the letter to the principal .A couple of hands were raised and the students approved Muhammad to go talk to the principal and give the letter.

Class time was over and I went to the teachers lounge to rest. After the break on my way to the class I saw Muhammad and asked him what he went through and he went like this:

“When the letter was given to the principal with respect, he just looked at the letter without reading it thoroughly and told me that it was THEIR business to solve these problems.”

School Orientation is the “motto” of ministry of education these days but like many other things you only see the “rules” on the paper and no practical version is shown! Alas!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what you say, in our chaotic schools we cannot expect more from our narrow minded principals whom mainly are Basiji and they occupay this position through Basij canal.

Your student

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you sound like a really good teacher. The kids are lucky to have you. I am rooting for you!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home