#navbar-iframe { Show/Hide Navigation height: 0px; visibility: hidden; display: none; } Iranian Teacher XP: Warning Beep! { margin-top:0px; position: relative; top: -50px; }

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Warning Beep!

(Language School)  

Iran (25) is one of my female serious cheerful looking girl in my class. Although I had warned her to turn her phone off during the class time she seemed to be like forget about the teacher’s words type because, in the last 5 minutes before the class was finished she started dialing numbers without paying much attention to my forewarnings.

In one of my classes she started her old habit of dialing while I was assigning the student’s homework for the following sessions when her mobile set went beep…beep…beep…

So far boring stuff? Ha? You ain’t heard anything yet!

As a general rule my students had all agreed to turn their cellular phones off before entering the class; in case the teacher heard a ringing phone, THAT student had to buy a box of chocolate or candy for her classmates. The point was that one of my students had bought a box of chocolate in the past few weeks. When beeping was heard, I could see Iran’s face turning red. We all started laughing out loud only two minutes before the class ended.

I was happy because not only the class was finished in a positive atmosphere but also I am not going to have anything before THAT class. I was looking at her like a professional fortuneteller; I was like:” wasn’t I a know-it-all when I warned you on that?  

Isn’t it interesting how the meaning of things changes based on some new “rules”?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kimia said...

It is becoming more and more strange the way people feel responsible about what other people require.

I was thinking if I were in your class and you'd warned me about my cellphone I would feel more anxious everytime to turn it off by all means than If you hadn't warned me and it was just the rule of bringing cookies I would definitely feel more relax to remember to turn it off cause if I forget I'll pay for cookies and no big deal. At least I didn't disregard my teacher.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny are these classes! So when would be a winning teacher? :))

2:25 PM  
Blogger Tarkhoon said...

Hey Frank,
don't forget to share box of chocolate w/ us:)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your students are interacting with you through blogging? That's great! Communication in blogging is more open than cellfone communication, that's how I see it *wink.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Paste said...

I just stumbled across your blog, is this a spoof as surely there cannot be a real teacher and real students all of whom cannot write basic english?

4:47 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I'd say, Dave, that many American teachers of foreign languages function far below the abilities of the posters on this blog. I speak Spanish, and I'm well-acquainted with Spanish teachers who do not.

There's a huge difference between teaching a language in the country it's spoken, and doing so in a country where it is not. Didn't you sit in high school, recite nonsense, conjugate verbs, and learn little or nothing?

Many Americans have. And few, if any of the clasmates with whom I studied could communicate as the people on this blog do.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be a perfect teacher I think and wish you lot of success , i am sorry that i know so little about your country and people living there
with regards
stefan from slovakia

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home